Neighbors United for a Better East Boston (NUBE), a fiscally sponsored program of TSNE MissionWorks, is an organization that develops abundant leaders who support social transformation and shifting political power. Our leaders organize and advocate for inclusive democratic processes and just public policies to create a vibrant economy and environment for all East Boston.
An Abundant Leader has an open-mind and heart, practicing our values in action, and believing that our strength comes from the community and that the “gifts” we share are the solutions to the problems we face. Our work is guided by the deep commitment to developing a more just, understanding, and sustainable neighborhood. We manifest this through learning, teaching, and practicing the following core values of welcome, justice, and abundance for all.
The Abundant Leader is a temporary leadership development opportunity for individuals interested in learning how to engage their neighbors in civic life. The Abundant Leadership Training Program allows members to learn skills, tools, and develop their leadership abilities. Abundant leaders practice these skills and tools as Circle Coordinators and by taking a role within NUBE Centro. Abundant Leaders work with Circle members to develop their skills and leadership by providing avenues to participate in NUBE trainings and workshops.
The position requires high level of motivation; be well organized and a multi-tasker, with the ability to relate to and work with diverse groups and individuals. The ideal candidate should possess cultural understanding of Central and South American community that comprise 53% of the neighborhood we serve, a passion for grassroots advocacy, and voter mobilization particularly from immigrant, low-income, and people of color community. A willingness to learn new skills and develop strong written and verbal communication skills is desired.
Essential Job Functions
Circle Coordination includes:
- Attend Abundant Leadership trainings and workshops;
- Support in developing and implementing NUBE Center civic engagement activities and disseminate voter engagement materials as needed;
- Recruiting neighbors to participate in NUBE events or Circles;
- Coordinating the process of neighbors joining NUBE’s Welcome Circle, including participation materials, facilitation of workshop, and orientations;
- Supporting the leadership development of Circle members;
- Assist in the refinement of the leadership development curriculum and workshops;
- Manage monthly Circle participation;
- Manage Circle donations.
NUBE Centro coordination includes:
- Attend meetings related to NUBE initiatives: women’s leadership development, solidarity economy, and civic engagement initiatives;
- Assist with membership and Voter Activation Network (VAN) database management;
- Assist with communication relations and social media outreach for events and gatherings;
- Assist with other organizational activities including fundraising, events, and office management;
- Work with Co-Directors, lead coordinators, to plan and coordinate workshops and trainings for Circle members.
- The ideal candidate will provide a caring, respectful, high quality experience for those with whom s/he interacts while implementing NUBE's civic engagement goals;
- A desire to learn new community organizing and building models to engage a diverse population;
- Knowledge of the East Boston community or interest with issues facing East Boston such as gentrification, racial tension, immigrant insecurity, airport expansion, etc.;
- Bilingual (English and Spanish);
- Previous experience volunteering or working with neighborhood programs;
- Previous experience with community and voter engagement campaigns a plus;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships;
- Experience in multicultural workplaces and communities and/or directly coming from the community NUBE serves;
- Passion for advancing the power of immigrant, low income and people of color social justice issues;
- Ability to work flexible work hours (evenings and weekend);
- Basic understanding-willingness to learn navigating Microsoft word applications, google drive, and social media application.
*Timeline and work plan may be adjusted to reflect coordinator securing other part time/full time employment or other needs that may be determined by financial team.
We strongly encourage online applications. Please attach your resume and cover letter. For more information, please contact info@nubeastboston or call 617-981- 4010.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
Or fax to: 617.896.9393.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks and NUBE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran, or disability status.