We all want a better work-life balance, but how do you do it exactly? I've mapped it out for you in the 10 simple steps. If you want it to work, you need to put it into practice. It doesn't work unless you do it.
And yes, it does get easier the more you practice it. In fact, you'll wonder how you lived without it!
- Match your time to your values.
- Hold your vision: What is the big thing you are trying to accomplish? Then do those things that will move your vision forward instead of just keep you busy.
- Delete tasks from your "to-do" list: Delete it, defer it or delegate it - just get it off your plate.
- Stop multi-tasking: You get less stuff done when multi-tasking than when focused on one task at a time.
- Set some rules for yourself: Share those rules with those around you so they know what you are doing, and then live by those rules. For example, leave the office at 5:15 p.m. every night.
- Build your team: Make your expectations clear, give them clear accountability, then delegate.
- Ask for help: Use your network.
- Schedule time with your primary relationship: Include 20 to 30 minutes of quality time every day.
- Take all the vacation you are allotted: Even if it is for long weekends.
- Exercise regularly and get enough sleep: This one is pretty self-explanatory.
Kate Breton is an innovator with a solid track record in all three sectors. Currently looking to join the staff of a Boston area forward-thinking agency, Kate invites you to learn more about her work and the Women’s Workforce Network: http://www.linkedin.com/in/katebreton