A fiscally-sponsored program of TSNE MissionWorks (TSNE), Tutors for All (T4A) bridges the achievement gap one student at a time. Through bringing together colleges, public schools and community resources, we offer underserved students the systematic individualized instruction they need in order to thrive. Students in the Tutors for All programs have shown dramatically improved MCAS scores, significantly higher grades in their high school classes, and renewed and deeper confidence in their academic abilities.
Tutor an elementary or middle school student in either basic math or literacy. Help other tutors meet expectations through mentorship, modeling and professional development. This position is openly hiring and has no closing date.
- Create lesson plan for student in preparation for each tutorial session;
- Execute lesson plan in either basic math or literacy (please provide preference in correspondence);
- Proctor student assessments and tailor tutorial to fit student’s growing skill knowledge
- Use creativity to engage student in difficult lessons;
- Serve as an example of college success for your student;
- Grade students daily on participation, effort, and respect;
- Work as a member of a team of tutors who reflect, plan and problem solve together with the help of two supervisors;
- Prepare progress reports for students;
- Perform periodic clerical work: filing curriculum, calling parents, etc.;
- Hold students accountable for code of conduct;
- Attend mandatory training before start of tutorial program.
Lead Tutor Duties
- Model the meeting of expectations for other tutors;
- Hold tutors accountable in terms of professionalism, promptness, etc.;
- Reassign tutors and students within team, as necessary;
- Take attendance for team/room;
- Keep materials and rooms organized and well stocked;
- Ensure that team uses school space effectively and with respect;
- Respond to tutor reflections and lesson plans in a thoughtful manner;
- Occasional perform administrative duties –filing curriculum, photocopying, calling parents;
- Passion for working with urban youth;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Adherence to strict professional standards as regards to conduct, dress, timeliness, etc.;
- Eagerness to reflect on and improve performance.
- 4-8 hours per week, per program (may serve in multiple programs);
- Exact schedule depends on program.
This is an ongoing, open position for multiple applicants. We strongly encourage online applications.
We accept applications by mail to: TSNE MissionWorks, Attn: Employment Manager, NonProfit Center, 7th floor, 89 South Street, Boston, MA 02111 or by fax at: 617.523.2070
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE and Tutors for All will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran or disability status.