Founded in 2002, in Springfield, Mass., Gardening the Community (GTC), a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks, is a food justice organization engaged in youth development, urban agriculture and sustainable living to build healthy and equitable communities. GTC works with youth to grow food on vacant lots and organizes to expand healthy, affordable food access in the Mason Square neighborhoods of Springfield. GTC’s vision includes building a vibrant, healthy food system with just and equal access to it – one that recognizes and addresses inequity - so racism no longer determines the health or well-being of a neighborhood or community.
The Development and Communications Coordinator (Coordinator) builds and maintains GTC’s development and fundraising infrastructure, supports donor cultivation and solicitation , and increases GTC’s visibility throughout its donor communities. The position also helps manage administrative functions related to revenue tracking. We are looking for someone who is passionate about GTC’s mission as well as expanding community support and funding for GTC’s work in Springfield and across the region. This position is part-time for 30 hours per week.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage GTC’s CRM database, including updating records, processing gifts and running reports;
- Recruit and manage development interns and volunteers for GTC;
- Provide support to Development Committee including organizing monthly meetings.
Donor cultivation, solicitation and tracking
- Manage donor mailings and appeals;
- Track and manage pledges and sustainer gifts;
- Analyze donor giving to increase donations and giving levels;
- Assist with individual donor cultivation and stewardship strategies;
- Conduct research on donor prospects and manage other strategies to expand donor base;
- Manage fundraising and donor cultivation events including house parties and community fundraisers;
- Manage sponsorship program.
Visibility and Communications
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing GTC’s visibility throughout our donor and grantor communities, including the use of social media and videos;
- Assist with design, preparation and distribution of annual report and other donor reports;
- Coordinate design of outreach materials for GTC appeals and specific events;
- Work with the GTC Youth Program and Community Engagement Manager to produce a quarterly e-newsletter;
- Assist the Co-Director for Program and Marketing with website updates and other tasks as delegated;
- Manage and update email lists.
- Prepare deposits as delegated; prepare checks for deposit and maintain revenue files;
- Reconcile donations;
- Reconcile revenue related to fundraising initiatives and events.
- Engage GTC youth in fundraising and visibility work in ways that develop their skills and leadership;
- Participate in GTC work days and other growing/market programs.
- 2+ years' experience in the nonprofit field, preferably in fundraising;
- Analytical; comfortable working with databases;
- Demonstrated experience in project or event coordination in a fast-paced environment;
- Highly-organized, with acute attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including writing;
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Solid computer literacy, and skill in internet research;
- Ability to learn new skills quickly;
- Comfortable working independently and in a team environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of GTC and to racial justice;
- Experience working in multi-racial, multicultural organizations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Knows and loves Springfield.
- Experience with a constituent relationship management (CRM) database;
- Experience with increasing visibility and/or promotions work for organizations;
- Experience with MailChimp, FaceBook, Instagram, Weebly and design software;
- Volunteer management experience;
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
Reporting and Compensation
Reports to the Co-Director for Administration and Finance;
Salary range is $15 - $18/hour depending on experience. Benefits include generous health and dental plans, flexible work hours, paid time off, and regular access to delicious, locally grown vegetables.
We will accept applications on a rolling basis through January 15, 2017.
We strongly encourage and prefer online applications.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
Attn: Employment Manager
89 South Street Suite 700
Boston, MA 02111
Or fax to: 617.896.9393
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks/Gardening the Community will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran, or disability status.