Founded in 2002 in Springfield, MA, Gardening the Community (GTC), a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks, is a food justice organization engaged in youth development, urban agriculture, and sustainable living to build healthy and equitable communities. GTC works with youth to grow food on vacant lots and organizes to expand healthy, affordable food access in the Mason Square neighborhoods of Springfield. Their vision includes building a vibrant, healthy food system with just and equal access to it – one that recognizes and addresses inequity so racism no longer determines the health or well-being of a neighborhood or community.
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for providing financial and administrative support to ensure the smooth operational functioning of Gardening the Community (GTC), particularly as it relates to handling cash and check deposits from sales and donations, processing markets and wholesale operation transactions, invoicing, contract and grants management, and data analysis and tracking. This position is part-time and will last through September 30, 2018. Continuation of this position past that date is contingent upon organizational needs and funding.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepare and/or review cash deposits; make bank deposits as delegated;
- Review, reconcile, and sign off on cash closeout reconciliation sheets for markets and events;
- Prepare checks for mailing to our fiscal sponsor (TSNE) as needed; provide copies to Development staff, and for financial files;
- Reconcile wireless terminal receipts and assign project and activity codes;
- Reconcile donations recorded through fiscal sponsor with GTC CRM payment processor records;
- Input sales data and produce purchase invoices into market spreadsheet; provide monthly reports to Co-Directors and Market Manager;
- Prepare monthly invoices for wholesale customers and sponsors; track and oversee accounts payable.
- Prepare invoices in the Concur accounting system;
- Prepare receipts and submissions for monthly Concur expense reports; review staff reports for accuracy and appropriate grant and expense allocations;
- Organize and update vendor and contractor accounts;
- Perform bi-monthly petty cash reconciliation.
Contracts and Grant Management
- Monitor grants expense allocations;
- Prepare paperwork for contract invoicing.
- Work on special projects that require analysis and evaluation of data;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This is a 30-hour per month position (approximately 1 day/week) and is paid $15.00-$18.00 per hour, depending on experience.
- Two-year degree, preferably in accounting or related field desired;
- Two years’ experience in bookkeeping, accounting, financial management or related field preferred;
- Word processing and data entry skills;
- Microsoft Office application skills (Word and Excel);
- Ability to understand and communicate complex work-related instructions and problems;
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Experience with Concur and/or other automated expense accounting systems;
- Experience with complex spreadsheets and data analysis preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and to the mission of GTC;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Knowledge of the Springfield community;
We strongly encourage online applications. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis through March 30. Please attach your resume and a cover letter.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
Attn: Human Resources
89 South Street, Suite 700
Boston, MA 02111
Or fax to: 617.896.9393.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE/Gardening the Community will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification and veteran or disability status.