Description of Organization
The Carrot Project’s vision is to significantly increase the number of successful small farm and agricultural businesses leading to a meaningful increase in local food production in the Northeast. We help to launch small farm and ag businesses and support their growth towards profitability, a crucial factor to business viability. We want the farms and businesses that we work with today to be here in 5, 10, and 50 years from now. Their success is the foundation of a strong local food economy.
The Carrot Project works at the forefront of change by helping to create a sustainable local farm and food economy. Our work facilitates access to financing and business support so that today’s small farm and food businesses can grow into thriving, enduring enterprises. We make long-term investments in the building blocks of the food system that contribute to healthful food for consumers, a replenished environment, and strengthened regional and local economies.
The Valley to Valley Outreach Fellow will play an integral role in spreading awareness of The Carrot Project and its mission with the goal of increasing awareness of the organization in the Pioneer Valley, the Hudson Valley, and surrounding areas. The Fellow will work closely with the Client Services Coordinator to execute outreach for our training, financing, and technical assistance programs directed at farms and food businesses and to maintain relationships with key partner organizations. We seek someone who excels at relationship building, has experience carrying out outreach activities, is self-directed, and is motivated by working as part of a team. Marketing and outreach or sales experience in agriculture is highly preferred. Residence in the targeted geographic region is required. This is a part-time, temporary position and hours will vary on a weekly basis. Total hours worked will range from 50-100 between November 2018 and March 2019.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and networking events to present Carrot’s programs and maintain relationships with key partner organizations
- Represent The Carrot Project programs to individual contacts that could refer applicants and/or directly benefit from The Carrot Project’s programs
- Participate in, at minimum, monthly outreach team conference calls
- Experience conducting marketing or outreach activities within the agricultural sector
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the food and farming community in the Pioneer Valley and/or Hudson Valley
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, orally and in writing
- Knowledge of ag sector, community, government, and nonprofit organizations related to agriculture and working landscapes
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and program targets, and to manage workload
- Ability to use standard office suite software
- Ability to travel primarily throughout the Valley to Valley region
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work remotely, using personal office equipment (phone, computer, access to internet, etc.)
We strongly encourage online applications. Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing how your background meets this position’s requirements. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Apply by mail to: TSNE MissionWorks, Attn: Employment Manager, NonProfit Center, 89 South Street Suite 700, Boston, MA 02111; or send by fax to: 617.523.2070
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks and The Carrot Project will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran, or disability status.