We're going online this year with a whole series of nonprofit professional development workshops. Join the thousands of people who have attended our trainings led by recognized experts in their field. We've drawn a dynamic mix of board, directors, staff, and volunteers through the years, so sign up today!
The Effective Supervision Series
Skilled, intentional, and strategic supervision is integral to organizational success and employee satisfaction. Effective supervisors, whether new to the role or coming with a wealth of experience, tap into self-awareness, are adaptive, and leverage a range of interpersonal skills. Using these practices, a supervisor creates a culture of mutual respect — one in which employees and supervisors communicate regularly and clearly about job-related expectations, tasks, and overall performance.
Join us for these individual workshops which focus on specific pieces of the supervisor's role.
Target Audience: Supervisors with all levels of experience, from emerging supervisors to those with many years of experience.
Presented by Joanne Horgan and Lyn Freundlich
Thursday, December 9, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
Through this 120-minute session on adaptive supervision, participants will:
- Review and reflect on a “Job Description of a Supervisor”
- Identify their preferred supervisory style
- Learn how to identify what individual staff need around various aspects of their jobs and their particular challenges
- Understand the importance of adapting their supervisory approach and communication style in support of staff success, and how to put that into practice
No time in October? Attend the December 9 session.
Presented by Joanne Horgan and Lyn Freundlich
Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
Through this 120-minute interactive session on effective supervisory communication, participants will:
- Understand the importance of soliciting feedback and learn approaches to building this into their supervisory practice
- Discover the barriers to receiving constructive feedback and ways to manage reactions which support your effectiveness as a supervisor
- Explore the conditions that make giving feedback valuable and practice adaptive approaches to providing constructive and positive feedback
- Learn how to hold one-on-one meetings that strengthen communication, trust, and staff effectiveness
Presented by Joanne Horgan and Heang Ly
Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
Through this 120-minute interactive session, supervisors will:
- Explore the ways that adaptive communication and feedback contribute to supporting, developing, and managing successful employees
- Understand the dynamic continuum of employee performance
- Learn and practice a model of performance management that focuses on adaptive communication and feedback strategies
Presented by Nesly Metayer
Thursday, October 21, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
Nonprofit boards play a key role helping organizations achieve impact. While board members bring valuable skills and experience, a strong foundation is essential to making sure that members can come together in service of the nonprofits they support.
This workshop is focused on helping nonprofit leaders, board leaders, and board members understand the foundations of board effectiveness. Participants will learn about standards and best practices in nonprofit boards, and will walk away with an action plan that draws from specific theories, models, and tools that they will learn to use in this training.
Presented by Jenn Hayslett
Thursday, October 28, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
The pandemic has changed how we communicate — but your donors still want to support your important work. In this interactive online workshop, you will learn how to confidently reach out to your donors in person or using Zoom, other online video tools, or in-person.
Presented by Nesly Metayer and Dr. Judy Freiwirth
Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Eastern
This workshop will focus on evidence-based strategies and practices that can serve as the catalyst for improving the performance of your already-functional board. Participants will walk away with hands-on experience with essential tools and models, as well as an action plan to guide next steps for their own board development.
Presented by Kimm Topping and Minh Nguyen
Thursday, November 18, 2021, 10:00 am to 12 p.m. Eastern
Many nonprofits are exploring ways to create more LGBTQ+ inclusive environments and foster greater gender equity in the workplace. Grounded in story-telling and interactive activities, this workshop will explore gender bias, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and the relationship these have to organizational policies and practices. We will pay special attention to the impact of COVID-19 on LGBTQ+ communities and other topics relevant to your organizations.